Divorce for Dads




Legal Process 
Parenting Time 
Child Support 
Property Division 
Spousal Maintenance 
Post Dissolution 
Domestic Abuse 
Attorneys fees 
About Us 
Contact Us 
Resources and Links 



According to Minnesota law, when a child is born out of wedlock (the parents are not married to each other)  the mother is automatically awarded sole legal and sole physical custody (Minn.Stat. 257.541, subd. 1). This means that the mother has complete control over the child, and the father literally has no rights whatsoever.  As a result, the father has no right to parenting time with the minor child, or to have any input with regard to how the child is going to be raised. The father also has no obligation to provide monetary support for the child, although the law does allow a Court to establish a retroactive child support obligation dating back up to twenty-four months from when the motion seeking child support is initiated (which typically creates an instant arrearage in the father's child support obligation).

Consequently, for a father to obtain parenting time or custody of his children he needs to initiate a paternity proceeding, or custody proceeding.  The same laws which govern custody rights and parenting time in marital dissolution cases apply in paternity proceedings (Minn.Stat. 257.541, subd. 2, 3).


The material and opinions provided by the Nygaard & Longe Law Office on this website, by telephone, or in consultation are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.  An attorney-client relationship is established only by the execution of a retainer agreement with the Nygaard & Longe Law Office.  The Nygaard & Longe Law Office is not responsible for the content of, or information provided by, linked sites.  


Copyright(c) 2016 Nygaard & Longe Law Office. All rights reserved.


E-Mail a Question:

info@ mndivorcefordads.com

Links to State of Minnesota Statutes and Forms:


Minnesota's Child Support Calculator


Parenting Time Motion Forms


Child Support Modification Forms


Minnesota's Child Support statute (Chapter 518A)


Minnesota's Marital Dissolution Statute (Chapter 518)